Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Seen #2

This past weekend when I was home, my dad rented the movie Beverly Hills Chihuahua.  Since I had nothing to do I decided to watch it with him.  The movie is about a spoiled female dog who is taken away from her comfortable Beverly Hills home by her niece.  They travel to Mexico and their adventure begins.  I do not recommend the movie!  As I was watching the movie I noticed how each talking dog represents a certain multicultural group that we have discussed in class.  In the movie there are Mexican, African American, gay, and white dogs.  I was able to tell this because of their voice and how they looked because the dogs were dressed in clothes.  It only took me a few minutes to notice these stereotypes and I immediately thought of this class.  The movie is rated PG, which means it's recommended for children.  Interesting.....as kids are watching the movie they are learning these stereotypes.

1 comment:

  1. So I have to admit, I have never seen the movie- but wasn't it really popular when it came out? That means that a lot of children went and saw it and had some of the same stereotypes reinforced again. Do you think the writers/producers think they are doing a good thing by showing children a group of dogs from different backgrounds that hang out and socialize together? Since I haven't seen the movie, are the interactions between the dogs positive or do they fight? Maybe they want to have at least one figure in the movie for all children to relate to. Of course, this again assumes that each character has equal importance or is seen positively. It is interesting that it wasn't just their language, but their clothes too that helped create a certain stereotype. Very interesting- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete